SSAS error when processing the cube

Every couple of weeks I see this SSAS error when processing one of my cubes:

An error occurred while parsing the ‘StorageMode’ element at line 1, column 2217 (‘http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine’ namespace) under Load/ObjectDefinition/Dimension/StorageMode.

Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when instantiating a metadata object from the file, ‘\\?\d:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\FinancialCubeTEST.0.db\DimSubLedger.5.dim.xml’.

I have seen this same error on more than one cube.  To fix this, remote into your server and delete the file specified in the error message (in this case, d:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\FinancialCubeTEST.0.db\DimSubLedger.5.dim.xml).

This usually works, but a few times it still did not fix it for me.  Then the only option is to login to Analysis Services and delete the database (deleting the cube is not enough).

About James Serra

James currently works for Microsoft specializing in big data and data warehousing using the Analytics Platform System (APS), a Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) architecture. Previously he was an independent consultant working as a Data Warehouse/Business Intelligence/MDM architect and developer, specializing in the Microsoft BI stack. He is a SQL Server MVP with over 25 years of IT experience.
This entry was posted in SQL Server, SQLServerPedia Syndication, SSAS. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to SSAS error when processing the cube

1. Pingback: Error 64 Internal error: Invalid enumeration value. Please call customer support! is not a valid value for this element. « "You'll Learn, Like They All Learn, The Hard Way"

2. Samuel Vanga says:

Hi James, Thankyou for this post. I just ran into this annoying problem. It would constantly complain about one (.xml) file after the other. Just curious what would cause this error!

Thanks,
    Samuel.

3. Abdul says:

Thank you so much for this post…..I have spent hours trying to fix this….Finally its working….

• Jesus Molina says:

Hi all colleagues who suffer this unexplicable internal error.

In my case it has been enough to make on the analisys service project a full deployment, for it, go to the properties project and update on “Deployment Mode” to “Deploy All” value.

Once done that, on the pull down options of the project click on “Deploy”. And wait till the result.

As I said in my case has run fine.

4. Jude says:

Thankyou very much..i had an issue trying to add a dimensin to a cube ..and this worked!

5. Seeedeh Gh says:

Thank you very much. This solution is very good for my problem :)

6. Joana Sampaio says:

Thank you very much. This tip was really useful.

7. Dave Iffland says:

This totally worked for me. In my case, I had a dozen or so blank XML files. I was also getting an error that said:

“a document must contain exactly one root element”

I thought it had more than one root element. Turned out it had zero root elements because the file was empty.

Once I deleted all of the empty XML files, it worked out great. Thanks for your post!

8. Ishan Chathuranga says:

Thank you very much.This worked for me

9. Domenico says:

Hi James, do you know what create this problem?