SSDT – Installation confusion

SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) is a Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) replacement, meaning it has a suite of Visual Studio 2010 add-in tools for building Integration Services (SSIS), Analysis Services (SSAS) & Reporting Services (SSRS) solutions (let’s call that suite SSDT-BIDS).  It is also a suite of Visual Studio 2010 add-in tools for building SQL Server database solutions/projects (let’s call that suite SSDT-DB), a replacement for Visual Studio Database Developer edition (aka “Data Dude“).  It also includes features from SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio).  However, depending on how you go about installing SSDT, either SSDT-BIDS or SSDT-DB will not be installed.  I ran through multiple types of installations, and this is what I found out:

If you go thru the SQL Server 2012 installation and choose “SQL Server Data Tools” on the Feature Selection page, it will install SSDT-BIDS as well as the Visual Studio 2010 Integrated Shell (the Integrated Shell will only contain SSDT tools, and does not include VS programming languages and the features that support their respective project systems), it then applies SP1, but does NOT install SSDT-DB.   Instead of installing SSDT-DB it installs a pointer to a web install that you will see when you try to create a new database project in Visual Studio 2010 (in other words it installs a “stub project” that allows SQL Server 2012 users to acquire the latest SSDT version from the web).  So to install SSDT-DB, follow Install SQL Server Data Tools.  I did not realize I was missing the database project functionality until I could not find the SQL Server Object Explorer window in Visual Studio.  Then after wasting much time I realized I still needed to install SSDT-DB.

If you have not installed SQL Server 2012 (or you did install it but did not select  “SQL Server Data Tools” on the Feature Selection page), and go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/gg427686 to download and install SSDT, it will automatically install the Visual Studio 2010 Integrated Shell, apply SP1, and install SSDT-DB, but does NOT install SSDT-BIDS.  If you then install SQL Server 2012 and choose “SQL Server Data Tools” on the Feature Selection page, it will install SSDT-BIDS.  It notices that you already installed the Visual Studio 2010 Integrated Shell and won’t install it again.

Note that when SSDT-BIDS is installed, it also installs the menu item “SQL Server Data Tools” under the “SQL Server 2012″ Start Menu option.  When SSDT-DB is installed, it also installs the menu item “Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools” under the root of the Start Menu.  Both of these menu items point to the same executable.

If you have Visual Studio 2010 Professional Edition or above installed before you perform an installation of SSDT through SQL server 2012 or on its own, then you must install SP1 manually before installing SSDT.  The SSDT installation will integrate all the functionalities of SSDT into your existing VS environment.

More info:

SSDT – What’s in a name?

FAQ: Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools

Database Projects – Installing the Database Project Template

About James Serra

James is SQL Server MVP and a independent consultant with the title of Business Intelligence/Data Warehouse/Master Data Management Architect and Developer, specializing in the Microsoft SQL Server BI stack.
This entry was posted in SQLServerPedia Syndication, SSDT/Juneau. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to SSDT – Installation confusion

1. Vishal Pawar says:

Truelly Confusion to me Too ! Yes James i am really happy to tell you i am also successfully install SQL Server 2012 on machine .. Really thanks for all your update and post !! I will also post on soon them !

2. Pingback: SQL Server 2012: Installing on a Virtual Machine | James Serra's Blog

3. Kevin says:

Thanks for the helpful post. I have spent all morning trying to figure out why I can’t find the bids templates when I installed SSDT. Could MS make this anymore confusing.

4. AaronLS says:

Nice post. I can’t believe this isn’t explained anywhere by MS. I googled and googled. I was thinking that SSDT was only new DB projects and BIDS was still something separate, only because I installed SSDT and it didn’t give me any of the BIDS stuff.

Can the 2012 BI projects(SSAS/SSRS/SSIS) target a 2008R2 server?

I am using SSDT-DB for a 2008R2 server. It would be nice if I could upgrade my BI projects so that I can put them in the same VS2010 solution instead of having a separate solution for BIDS 2008(since it is VS 2008).

5. Thom Pantazi says:

Nice post, I was excited to see you mention you couldn’t find SQL Server Object Explorer, but I don’t see an answer to my problem. I do see the Data Tool link and it does bring up Visual Studio. Yet when VS loads, there is no SQL Server Object Explorer to be found.

Wish there was a way to use the stuff Microsoft puts out without all this pain.

6. Mahesh says:

Thank you for the post and for all the tips.

This is the n th time I have struggled or faced confusions due to improper or non-documented info; figuring out issues related to Microsoft products!

Mahesh

7. Paul says:

James,
    i am working with vs2008 for SSAS, SSIS and SSRS also we use vs2010SP1 for out dbases solutions. I have SSMS2008R2 installed and i would like to know what to install to get the SSAS, SSIS and SSRS running VS2010. Do i need to install SQL2012 first or will it work on SQL2008R2 too.

thx

Paul.

8. Pingback: SQL Server 2012 and SharePoint 2013: Installing on a Virtual Machine | James Serra's Blog

9. Pingback: Managing Schemas And Source Control For Databases | James Serra's Blog

10. Steven says:

Hi James,
    Could you please clarify, is all the above guidance relevant to SQL Server 2012 Express with Advanced Services too?
    I have Visual Studio 2010 SP1, SSDT and SQL Server 2012 Express installed but cannot create or open VS Reporting Services projects. I don’t have any relevant project type in VS as far as I can make out.
    Many thanks,
    Steven

• James Serra says:

Hi Steven,

SQL Server 2012 Express does not support any of the BI components (SSIS, SSRS, SSAS). You will need to install a higher version of SQL Server to get those components.

11. Arun says:

Thanks for this Great information!!
    we have faced this issue in our side and tried to fix it with the help of your post.

12. PolishPaul says:

Microsoft should include this in their documentation, which seems to get worse with each article i read… Thanks!

13. Stéphane Beauchemin says:

Hi,

Thank you so much for this helpful post. I agree that Microsoft should have clarified things around SSDT. I myself spent a couple of hours trying to figure out which package to install.

Just to be sure, if I install SQL Server 2012 and Visual Studio 2010 in the following sequence:
    1- SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition RTM
    – I uncheck the SSDT from the “select features” panel
    – I then apply the RTM CU1 patch only.
    (I’m not upgrading at this time to SP1 because of many issues
    reported)
    2- Visual Studio 2010 professionnal + SP1
    3- SSDT using the installer downloaded from the web (June 2013 edition)

I understand that I will get the SSDT-DB installed. SQL Server BIDS should be gone. Right?

In your 3rd paragraph from the end, you mention the following:

“If you then install SQL Server 2012 and choose “SQL Server Data Tools” on the Feature Selection page, it will install SSDT-BIDS.”

Can you clarify if, by repeating this “SSDT install” using this time SQL Server, I will recover SSDT BIDS while keeping SSDT-DB untouched or if SSDT-BIDS will just replace SSDT-DB?

Finally, when in your article you mention “a replacement for Visual Studio Database Developer edition” can you clarify what it means? What do you mean by “a remplacement”? Considering that I precisely install Visual Studio 2010 Developer Edition, what change(s) should I observe once I then install SSDT-DB?

14. Pingback: Creating a SQL Server 2012 playground (part X) | TFG Blog

15. H R says:

Thank you so much for this info – it was amazing. I was struggling with this issue and had a deadline to meet, but I finally nailed it ONLY after reading your blog!